Thursday, November 22, 2007

Character-driven stories

Some writer friends of mine once started a discussion on what, exactly, magazines were asking for when they said they wanted character-driven stories. I've been slowly reading through Miss Snark's old posts and came across a post by her that has a good explaination.

I think the thing that's missing in most of the novels I reject is that the characters don't seem to grow or change enough. I read a lot of mystery and thriller submissions and it's like dead bodies are leaves on the ground: no impact. Even in cozies, there has to be some sense that this isn't quite normal and will mean something to the characters.

So, no I don't think there has to be social relevance. I think there has to be emotional resonance. How that is achieved can vary, but I think that's the key.


Have a fun Thanksgiving.

No comments: